Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR advice for newcomer?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR advice for newcomer?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:32:16 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Alexey Bazhin <address@hidden> wrote:
If you are a ham and doesn't want to spend too much, I would recommend
Peaberry SDR V2 (and it's not just receiver it's 4-band tranceiver and
it doesn't require sound card opposed to softrock). It will cost you
$150 as a kit (quite easy to build) or $250 built.

--
Alexey Bazhin <address@hidden>

You can also start with an rtl-sdr (nooelec is now selling them, so supply is easy to come by). As a ham, you're going to hate a lot of the RF, but it's cheap, works easily with GNU Radio, and you can find many pre-built examples that use this receiver. It's also receive only. Still, it's a great and really cheap way to start, and it'll give you some time to play and develop better concepts about what else you might need from the hardware.

Tom