Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues in Using File Source

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues in Using File Source
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:44:39 +0100

Hello Salman,

gedit is a text editor; 1110011 is a sequence of characters, not of bits; then, even if you count the 7 bytes, that would be an extremely short signal, no matter how you configured the file source to interpret the contents of your file.
If you, for example, set the file source to "complex", it will interpret the bytes in your file as pairs of 32bit floats -- that would be 8 byte for one complex number. With your 7 byte long file, the file source would not produce a single item of output, and your flow graph would stall for the lack of input.

Generally, there's a FAQ entry about the file "format" the file sink/source use [1].
I never cease to recommend the new guided tutorials [2], which (I hope) will give GNU Radio beginners a bit of intuitive insight on how GNU Radio deals with input, item streams, and sample types.

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#What-is-the-file-format-of-a-file_sink-How-can-I-read-files-produced-by-a-file-sink
[2] https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials