Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bugs/Features Pybombs

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bugs/Features Pybombs
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:45:22 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Richard Bell <address@hidden> wrote:
Reporting what feel like two bugs in pybombs that only arise in CentOS. You won't encounter these in Ubuntu.

1) Minor feature/bug: The config.defaults file does not contain rpm in the satisfy order list. It needs to be added manually.

This is a configuration option that you are asked when you first run pybombs. On an RPM based system, you should have already done this when you first run pybombs:

Order in which to attempt installations when available, options are: src, rpm, deb
satisfy_order [deb,src]:

It defaults to "deb,src" and you should change this to "rpm,src". This is mentioned on the QuickStart guide:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/QuickStart

And no, before you ask :), we cannot auto-detect this. I mean, we could potentially auto-detect a few known Linux distros based on their layout or a specific file in /etc or something, but as you've already seen with something like CentOS, they tend to change things around quite a bit between versions, so it's something we'd have to constantly chase. And we run the risk of incorrectly identifying other distros and doing the "wrong thing."

2) Major bug: I'm calling this major because it prevents installation on CentOS and is very difficult to work through for newbies. When installing from source is the primary install option, the recipe files for pygobject and pygtk point to incorrect file locations. The rpms for CentOS 6.6 don't contain these packages so install from source is the only option.

Current Pygobject: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygobject/2.27/pygobject-2.27.91.patched.tar.gz (this file does not exist at the specified ftp location any longer)

Should be: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygobject/2.27/pygobject-2.27.91.tar.gz

Similar removal of "patched" modifier for the pygtk path.

v/r,
Rich

Sure. Again, though, this is something that we have to constantly chase between versions of different distros and how different projects set up their downloads. In this case, though, there's no way around it. But that's

a) why we use the github pull request feature fairly readily to accept these kinds of patches:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/Contributing

b) the light-weight recipes (LWR) files are kept simple and straight-forward so they can be easily updated as these things so readily seem to change on us:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/Using

We definitely appreciate the feedback, though, and will have to see about updating the pygobject recipe. Can you provide us with a pull request for the working recipe that you have?

Thanks!

Tom