Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-companion and multithreading

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-companion and multithreading
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:06:03 +0100

Hi Andreas,

GRC is already as multithreaded as GTK applications can generally be --
I think the bottleneck here is really your Bananapi's CPU, its RAM and
its graphics card driver.
To be honest, I generally consider the Raspberry Pi and similar devices
to be embedded ones with hardware that underwent optimization for
exactly this application -- low cost embedded media playing linux GPIO
bitbanging computing. Not general purpose GUIs like the GRC.

Generally, the most sensible approach to using such devices with GRC I'd
say is to run GRC on your "real" PC, and transfer over the resulting
python program to your embedded device. Please don't expect wonders from
the signal processing performance of a dual core ARM processor --
there's only so much FLOPS you can get out of silicon...

Best regards,
Marcus