Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Receiving 200 Msps with an X300

From: Peter Witkowski
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Receiving 200 Msps with an X300
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 16:14:51 -0500

Hi Steve,

On my machine, I had to do two additional steps.

1.  Set the PCIe transfer to 4096.  See method #3 here: http://dak1n1.com/blog/7-performance-tuning-intel-10gbe .
2.  Set the number of descriptors in the NIC to 4096 (maximum).  The command for this is ethtool -G ethX rx 4096 tx 4096 (where ethX is your 10GigE port).

Also, you can distinguish a dropped packet from an overflow (i.e., the device's internal buffers) by doing ethtool -S and looking at rx_missed_errors.  If this number is increasing, your NIC cannot keep up and it's dropping packets.

Also, when I added buffering, I left the dirty_background_ratio alone.

Good luck capturing data.