[Discuss-gnuradio] First project: Garmin Rino GPS/FRS/GMRS?

From: Kevin Zembower
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] First project: Garmin Rino GPS/FRS/GMRS?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:12:11 -0400

Hello,

I'm very new to GNURadio and to RF exploration/hacking in general. I've downloaded GNURadio on my Linux system and have been successful in installing a couple of systems. I got the RTL-SDR USB receiver working, and have the gr-rds system working.

A project I thought of working on would be to try to understand and document the system used by Garmin Rino GPS/FRS/GMRS systems (see https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheTrail-cTwowayRadio-p1.html). These systems seem to transmit the transmitter's latitude, longitude and altitude to all the other Rino radios using the same FRS or GMRS channel and squelch code. This seems to occur whenever the Push To Talk button is pressed. The receiver's location, as well as all the other transmitters, can be viewed on everyone's GPS display.

I searched for Garmin and Rino in the mailing list's archives, and didn't come up with anything significant. Is this idea similar to anything else that anyone's attempted? If not, can anyone point me to ideas for getting started? I'm thinking that I'll first have to capture the waveforms produced by keying my Rino, then see if I can discern the encoding of the digital information.

Thanks for any pointers anyone can think of to begin working on this system.

-Kevin