Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Run to completion" not working with message pass

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Run to completion" not working with message passing blocks
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:11:57 +0100

W dniu 16.02.2015 o 17:29, Tom Rondeau pisze:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Piotr Krysik <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     W dniu 29.04.2014 o 16:20, Tom Rondeau pisze:
>     > On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Perper <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>
>     > <mailto:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi all,
>     >
>     >     I want to use message passing blocks for operations where strict
>     >     synchronization is not necessary. However in flowgraphs
>     using message
>     >     passing with "Run to completion" option turned on the
>     program doesn't
>     >     exit on last processed sample. Is this a bug?
>     >
>     >     I want to use message passing in my programs (mainly in
>     >     https://github.com/Jakotako/gr-gsm) but completion after
>     processing of
>     >     all input data is also very important for me.
>     >
>     >     --
>     >     Piotr Krysik
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Yes, this is a known issue and we are working on it.
>     >
>     > Tom
>     >
>     Hi Tom,
>
>     In GNU Radio 3.7.6 this is still an issue. It's quite serious because
>     whole class of applications that would use message passing and rely on
>     the processing in the flowgraph to end after processing of chunk
>     of the
>     signal (i.e. to change the flowgraph in known conditions) is not
>     possible.
>
>     I'm working on a simple gsm network monitor application based on
>     gr-gsm
>     (https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm) and have quite hard time because
>     of this issue.
>
>     Is this some general problem where the source of it is that GNU Radio
>     was meant primarily to process stream of samples? Or is it some
>     simpler
>     matter?
>
>     I've attached vary simple flowgraph that demonstrates the problem.
>
>     Best Regards,
>     Piotr Krysik
>

> The fix for this was pushed a couple of weeks ago and will make it in
> the 3.7.7 release. We're looking to see any side effects and might be
> able to back-port it for the next 3.7.6 maint release. Commit here:
>
> https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/commit/035b9d016dffefec890323bd0b24dbaf23aa9186
>
> Tom

I've tied gnuradio compiled with and without this commit. I didn't
observe difference - run to completion doesn't seem to work with message
passing. I've attached the gnuradio-companion flowgraph that I've used
for the test.

Question to the list: does "Run to completion" feature work for you in
the attached example or in any other case of a flowgraph with message
passing?

--
Piotr