[Discuss-gnuradio] Generating Custom Packet Header

From: Richard Bell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Generating Custom Packet Header
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:51:37 -0700

Hello everyone,

I've made the default packet generator work for my radio. I now want to make a custom header. The difference is described below:

GNU Radio Default Header: [Payload Length (12 bits) | Packet Number (12 bits) | CRC (12 bits)]

My Custom Header: [ Sync Bits (1010101...) (128 bits) | PN Sequence (16 bit) | PN Sequence (16 bit) | Payload Length (16 bits) ]

I am using my header for synchronization only. I don't want the CRC check in there and I don't want packet numbers.

My understanding of how to attack this is as follows:
1) Customize packet_header_default.cc which is responsible for making the custom header object
2) No change needed for the Packet_Header_Generator block
3) No change needed for the Packet_Header_Parser block

If this is correct, how should I replace packet_header_default.cc with packet_header_mycustom.cc, since they are not blocks in GRC? Should I think of this the same way I would if I were making a custom GRC block, and follow the custom block tutorials?

Thanks,
Rich