Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio with 1 - qa_test_all failed

From: West, Nathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio with 1 - qa_test_all failed
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:14:52 -0500

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM, shaunwang <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Nathan

Can you provide some information on how you are building VOLK?
I download the VOLK file from the git, cause the master of gnuradio does not have volk included. https://github.com/gnuradio/volk And then I just follow the instruction in the building website
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ../
$ make && make test
$ sudo make install
 Are you cross-compiling or native?
I am building it native. I actually don't know how to cross compile this. If you can give me a website to learn, that would be awesome.
What cmake flags are you providing?
I used the cmake from https://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/692    if I just use cmake, building will fail in the volk test_all step.
Here is my cmake command for the pi:

@ cmake -Dhave_mfpu_neon=0 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" ../
But it also works with just:

@cmake -Dhave_mfpu_neon=0 ../

What compiler are you using?
I don't know the version of my compiler. I use debian jessie in Hummingboard, you probably know which version it is. And I use the image from this website for Odroid. http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:xu3_release_linux_ubuntu

Is your OS soft-float or hard-float?
I don't think I can answer this question. Sorry

Could you please tell me how to remove ORC. I googled ORC, the only result I get is from this website, https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/repository/revisions/05161c9f48acf448d31abd88a5378608213e3574
where is ORC? I cannot find ORC file in my VOLK. I need more details for how to remove ORC.
I really appreciate your help!

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

You need to make sure that the compiler flags you are using make sense for your hardware and libraries you link against. For example, The ODROID-XU3 uses a cortex-a7 processor which uses an armv7 architecture, but you are telling your compiler that your architecture is armv6 (you copied instructions intended for a raspberry pi). You also tell it that you are targetting a hard-float ABI; you need to make sure that is actually the case or you will get some wrong results and potentially segfaults (it's unpredictable what will happen, but it will only fail at runtime). This explains why your log has no NEON protokernels running. The -Dhave_mfpu_neon=0 line is just telling VOLK that you have no NEON unit, which you probably don't want and has little influence on ORC.

Assuming you installed orc with your package manager, just remove it with your package manager. If you're on a debian based system that's 'apt-get remove orc', or whatever the orc package(s) are called.

-Nathan