Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need of delay=58 in the PSK Symbol Recovery Guide

From: Francisco Albani
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need of delay=58 in the PSK Symbol Recovery Guided Tutorial
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 05:16:23 -0300

Thanks, Nathan.

I tried what you suggested:

Blocks:
VS) Vector source: value=range(256), repeat=no.
D) Delay=50.
TS) 2-input Time Sink.

Connections:
VS-->TS(0)
VS-->D-->TS(1)

with this result:

* Pairs fed to the Time Sink:
(0, 0)
(1, 0)
(2, 0)
[...]
(49, 0)
(50, 0)
(51, 1)
(52, 2)
etc.

I expected this result and I have no trouble understanding it.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to express myself correctly.

I'm not ignoring how the delay block works; I'm asking about the 58
initial bits that come out of the receiver (which are paired to the
zeros added by the delay!)

Let me explain it with a diagram:

r: bit from the receiver.
s: bit from the source.

Pairs fed to the Time Sink:

(r0, 0)
(r1, 0)
[...]
(r57, 0)
(r58, s0)  <--- this is the first that matches nicely!
(r59, s1)
etc.

I want to know where the r's come from. Are they just transient values?

Thanks for your patience!

Francisco.