Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fast, Single-Sample Phase Rotation

From: Tom Tsou
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fast, Single-Sample Phase Rotation
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 14:50:24 -0700

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Douglas Geiger
<address@hidden> wrote:
>  To follow-up on Sylvain's questions: is the restriction really on doing
> single-sample rotation (because of some intermediate calculation to generate
> the phase advance for the next sample), or on the alignment?

Based on available information, I'm guessing the prior scenario with
something like a filtered sequence feeding a phase modulator to
generate GMSK or similar non-linear CPM signal. In cases like these,
is the phase modulator really necessary?

Many non-linear digital modulations in use these days have some form
of linear representation that is more efficient to implement on
vector-capable hardware. One solution to the rotator inefficiency
might be to get rid of it entirely.

  -TT