Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio streaming

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio streaming
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 18:17:11 +0200

Dear Mark,

dozens of options -- you could just use the ZMQ sinks/sources to send these samples to GNU Radio on the target PC, but you could also just take these float samples, and shuffle them into the UDP sink, and instruct that to send the packets to your target VLC's port (watch all the firewall/networking problems that could happen underway). You will need to instruct your VLC that what is coming is raw float samples at the sampling rate you use.

Another, bandwidth-efficient approach would be writing these samples, using the file sink, into a FIFO. Under Linux, you can generate a FIFO with "mkfifo", and open that FIFO with a local VLC; then you can use VLC's versatile compression and streaming functionality.

Best regards,
Marcus