Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Run graph/ scheduler overhead

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Run graph/ scheduler overhead
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 16:27:48 -0400

On Tue, 2015-07-21 at 12:01 -0400, address@hidden
wrote:
> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:47:40 +0200
> From: Marcus M?ller <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Run graph/ scheduler overhead
>
> Hi Dennis,
>
> if I read Fig 4 of [1] correctly, then you 32-delay DC blocker has a
> passband starting at let's say 0.025 * f_sample.
> I've gone ahead and clicked together a FIR filter that theoretically
> should perform as well; its CPU consumption is... tolerable :)
> Compare [2]; taps are in the PNG comment. Because this is so quick
> and
> dirt, I didn't bother to verify I really see 10MS/s throughput -- but
> considering the most-used CPU core is tasked 40% of its time only, I
> think that's a feasible assumption; plus, you can probably go
> further,
> if the filter performance doesn't match your needs -- I found that
> for
> filters > 100taps numerical accuracy of single precision floating
> point
> arithmetics starts taking its toll, so your amplitude response will
> not
> 100% be what gr_filter_design shows. Verify with a long averaging Qt
> frequency sink or so.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcus
>
> [1]
> http://www.ingelec.uns.edu.ar/pds2803/materiales/articulos/04472252.pdf
> [2] http://i.imgur.com/Qmx9q96.png

Hmmm.

Since this is ADS-B and phase doesn't matter, how about a differentiator
followed by a leaky integrator:

IIR filter:
Feedforward taps: [1.0 -1.0]
Feedback taps: [1.0 -0.99]

4-taps.  I have no idea how computationally efficient GnuRadio is at IIR
filters.

Need a steeper notch at DC, change the -0.99 to -0.9999 or whatever.

Regards,
Andy