Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Communication problems between 2 USRP's

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Communication problems between 2 USRP's
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 10:32:16 -0400

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM, John Garrick <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Tom,
I have actually added a jpg file which shows the output when given the
command of uhd_fft. Actually,my experiment is to transmit different data
packets to the receiver with minimized errors with ./benchmark_tx.py -f
2.435G and ./benchmark_rx.py -f 2.435G as commands . May I please know
of how can to set the gain in this picture and also how this picture is
useful for the reception of data packets. Please help as I am new to
using GNU Radio and USRP. Thank you.

Regards,
John

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/10951/Screenshot_from_2015-08-03_16_03_15.png

Hi John,

That PNG you sent doesn't show any signal that I can tell, which indicates that your gain settings are either too low to not see it or too high causing nonlinear effects. In this case, I'd guess the former. You can adjust the gain directly on the uhd_fft app there with the RX Gain slider. Play with that to see if you can see the signal better. Then use the gain setting as an option to the benchmark scripts. You may also want to adjust the transmit gain setting, as well.

But the issue here isn't GNU Radio or USRP. This is now radio. You have to have good enough signal power to receive data, and so you need to adjust the gains of the radio to make that happen.

Tom