[Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_sink tags confusion

From: Matija Ciganovic
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_sink tags confusion
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:48:51 +0200

Dear all,

I would like to do some simple frequency hopping over my USRP (x300 with UBX-160 daugherboard). To that end I wish to use the following tags:

- tx_len (defined in the length-tag field of the USRP sink). This (naturally) gives the length of a burst

-tx_freq -> used to change the centre frequency of the USRP before the first bit of every packet

-tx_time -> used to have a fixed time interval between 2 consecutive bursts

Here is my confusion:

When I add the tx_len tag to specific items, I get NO "tG"-output from gnuradio: this means that I am adding the tx_len tag correctly at the first item of every burst according to the specified burst length, correct? However, when I add the tx_freq tag to the same item that I add the tx_len tag to, I get these messages from gnuradio:

DEBUG: Received tx_freq mid-burst.
DEBUG: Received tx_freq on start of burst.
DEBUG: Received command: freq
-- Tune Request: 5793.000000 MHz
--   The RF LO does not support the requested frequency:
--     Requested LO Frequency: 5793.000000 MHz
--     RF LO Result: 5793.003663 MHz
--   Attempted to use the DSP to reach the requested frequency:
--     Desired DSP Frequency: -0.003663 MHz
--     DSP Result: -0.003663 MHz
--   Successfully tuned to 5793.000000 MHz

How can the tx_freq be received mid_burst if I place it in the same item as the tx_len tag, i.e. on the first item of a new burst? And how can it be received mid-burst AND on start of burst?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Matija