Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Follow up: Failure to build GNU Radio on various

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Follow up: Failure to build GNU Radio on various Ubuntu builds
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:25:04 +0200

Hi,

as Marcus L. said, the logs are tremendously informative. A segfault in
the cc1plus executable (which is the actual C++ compiler in GCC) is
extremely seldom, and should be treated as either a bug in GCC, or a bug
in your system.
Now, I haven't seen an Out-Of-Memory error in a while, since RAM has
become too cheap :), but I think OOM-killing wouldn't say "Segmentation
fault". Trying to access a larger-than 2^32 address in a 32bit system
might, though.
So either you're running a 32 bit OS, and the compiler needs more than
2GB of RAM, or I guess you have a GCC bug at hand, or something like
defective RAM -- I noticed defective RAM in my previous machine only
when I tried to work with an 8GB file in RAM, because the probability of
something going wrong scales with the amount of RAM your system actually
uses.

Best regards,
Marcus