Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Structure

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Structure
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 20:52:17 -0400

On 09/09/2015 08:24 PM, Chris Kuethe wrote:
This isn't a relevant concern for general purpose / experimental
hardware like bladerf, hackrf, or usrp hanging off a PC. They're
intended to be user programmable. If someone roots your box, they can
replace your FPGA image, usb, or microcontroller firmware ... but to
what end? The platform is already wide open.

If you're shipping a product, your regulatory agencies are going to
ask you some questions about what you've done to ensure that your
equipment only operates in its intended manner. I don't feel like
writing a big rant about trying to lock down a general purpose
machine. Instead, let me just point you at a whitepaper on secure
booting the Zynq. After that, you should read about how ChromeOS (or
other mobile platforms) do secure boot and ensure application
integrity.

I bet if you offered Ettus or Corgan a barrel of money they might be
interested in building a secure booted E310. Actually, if you offered
me a barrel of money, I'd be all over that project...

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp426-zynq-7000-secure-boot.pdf

I will comment, having been involved in the whole TPM thing in the IETF, and in private research, that since there's no way to guarantee correctness, no amount of digitally-signing chains of stuff-we-can't-trust is going to help you. If you think that you have achieved "security" that way, against an adversary who has the device in his/her hands, then you are in a state of sin. Cryptography cannot help you here. You're running up against the halting problem. A machine that "attests" at time (t) that it is notionally "secure" could be notionally cracked all to heck at time(t+1).

Until *significant* swaths of software can be automatically "proven to be correct", then none of this "layered attestation" nonsense makes any sense.

IMHO, of course, etc, etc, etc.