[Discuss-gnuradio] Connecting a message input port in hier_block2 discon

From: Pieter ROBYNS
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Connecting a message input port in hier_block2 disconnects a stream output port
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:09:44 +0200

Dear all,

While experimenting with hier_block2 I noticed that connecting an input message port appears to disconnect an unrelated stream output port. I've attached a simple example Python script to show what I mean.

Basically, the example script creates a hier_block2 with a null source and throttle block. The hier_block2 is then connected to a null sink. Furthermore, it has an input message_port for control messages. The script runs fine when the input  message_port is not connected. However, when connecting the message_port, the following error is returned:

RuntimeError: hier_block_test(2): insufficient connected output ports (1 needed, 0 connected)

Am I missing something or might this be a bug? If I change the hier_block2 to have 0 stream outputs (in the output signature), the error goes away, but in my use case I need to have one stream output and one control message input.

Kind regards,
Pieter Robyns