[Discuss-gnuradio] Debian/jessie-backports packages

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Debian/jessie-backports packages
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 08:28:26 +0100

The install page:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR

currently mentions:

   $ apt-get install gnuradio

Given that some people want latest code, it would be useful to have the
packages in jessie-backports and describe that on the wiki too. E.g.

   $ apt-get install -t jessie-backports gnuradio

I already mentioned this to Maitland.  Having a package in backports
requires some care with ABI compatibility or correct choice of SONAME
but in my opinion, it is entirely possible.

Debian backports gives people the ability to run a very stable OS that
only changes every 2 years (Debian) but always getting very recent
packages, similar to the PPA approach with Ubuntu.  In my opinion it is
slightly more convenient than a PPA because the OS is stable for longer
and there are many different things in backports.

Regards,

Daniel