Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware comparison tables

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware comparison tables
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 08:43:19 +0100

On 04/01/16 15:55, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Daniel Pocock <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>

>     There is a list of hardware at this page:
>
>     http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Hardware
>
>     Is anybody maintaining a table summarizing the GNU Radio hardware
>     options for easy comparison?
>
>     I can imagine that some of the following columns would be useful:
>     - price (board alone/raw parts/whatever)
>     - price (fully assembled in case)
>     - TX power (if TX supported) or N/A if no TX
>     - full duplex support
>     - RX sensitivity
>     - lower frequency limit
>     - upper frequency limit
>     - bandwidth
>     - sample rate/second
>     - sample size (bits)
>     - interface (or maybe one column for USB, one for ethernet, etc)
>     - suitability for different ham bands (e.g. HF, VHF, UHF, microwave)
>
>     There is a table on Wikipedia:
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software-defined_radios
>
>     but it doesn't specify which devices work with existing GNU Radio
>     drivers.
>
>     This page also has a small table, comparing HackRF, bladeRF and USRP:
>
> http://www.taylorkillian.com/2013/08/sdr-showdown-hackrf-vs-bladerf-vs-usrp.html
>

> This isn't a bad idea, but it needs to be maintained. The second link
> you sent there is over 2 years old and very limited in scope.
>
> Note that we've done an RFE talk during the last two GRCons to keep
> people up to date and familiar with many of the consumer options:
>
> http://www.trondeau.com/grcon15-presentations#monday_Newman_RFEs
>
> http://gnuradio.squarespace.com/storage/grcon14/presentations/Sep15_03_Rondeau_RFEs.pdf

I wonder if it would be reasonable to edit the table on Wikipedia to
include a column "Supports GNU Radio" or something more generic, like
"Open source driver available"?

Another way to attack this may be for the drivers to include some XML or
JSON file that describes all the devices they have been tested with and
then use some tool to aggregate that data and produce a report.