[Discuss-gnuradio] gr-osmosdr issues ?

From: jmfriedt
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-osmosdr issues ?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:16:05 +0100

My apologies for such a trivial bug report, but has anyone experienced issues
with gr-osmosdr
"lately" (not sure when the problem started) about "PLL not locked" and data
flow rate mismatch
in gnuradio data flows ?

I have a couple dozen RTL2832U based dongles used for various SDR activities
which have been
working quite flawlessly until this summer at least. Being currently in the
process of preparing
the new teaching semester, I just discovered that *all* dongles (E4k, R820T or
R820T2) experience
the same lack of PLL locking and data flow rate mismatch when connected to USB
ports *on laptops*
(tested on four different laptop models, yet all running Debian/GNU Linux
distributions, testing
and sid releases). The audio output in such a simple decoding stream as Osmosdr
Source - Low pass
filter - WBFM decoder - audio output is not continuous and of very bad quality.
The *same* dongles
connected to desktop setups with the same Debian/GNU Linux distribution exhibit
no issue: stream
rate is consistent and sound quality excellent. Of course searching on the web
for "PLL not locked"
yields a couple of million hits explaining that the tuned frequency range is
not within the
bandwidth of the dongle VCO, which is not the case here.

Has anyone seen reports of this issue before ?

Thanks, JM

--
JM Friedt, FEMTO-ST Time & Frequency/SENSeOR, 26 rue de l'Epitaphe, 25000
Besancon, France