Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Correct multiple audio cards clock differences

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Correct multiple audio cards clock differences
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 11:10:05 +0100

Well, that could well be; at 96kHz, 1s after a day is a drift of
$\frac{\SI{1}{\second}}{24\cdot 60 \cdot
      60\si{\second}}=11.57\,\mathrm{ppm}$
which would be a relatively good value for soundcard oscillators.

For drifts that small, you probably won't be able to correct this from signal.

I'd say, since you can live with dropping samples, do the following:

source 1   ->                                       ->
...        ->streams to vector -> vector to streams ->
source N   ->                                       ->

that enforces sample-synchronity. You then set a maximum size for the output buffers of the source blocks, if you'd rather lose few samples then seeing a growing delay and then lose a bigger bunch of samples.

Best regards,
Marcus