Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [PyBOMBS] Relaunch and version 2.0

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [PyBOMBS] Relaunch and version 2.0
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:32:15 +0100

Everyone,

the repositories have now been updated. For those who don't want to
track the PyBOMBS repo, you can just install PyBOMBS through pip (sudo
pip install PyBOMBS).

PyBOMBS 2.0 has a manual, hosted on the repo:
https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs/blob/master/README.md

This should get you started.

If wondering about the transition in general, read my previous
announcement (below).

Repositories
------------

The main repository for PyBOMBS is still the same one as before
(https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs/). If you pull pybombs from github,
it will update to PyBOMBS2. To get to the old code, check out the legacy
repository:

https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs_legacy/

the old recipes are stored here:

https://github.com/gnuradio/recipes_legacy/

Note PyBOMBS1 will not be officially supported any more.

Recipes
-------

Because PyBOMBS easily allows multiple recipe locations, we have split
up the recipes into the most popular, and/or known stable ones, and all
the rest. The standard set of recipes can be found here:

- https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-recipes

The extended set can be found here:

- https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-etcetera

The selection is currently somewhat arbitrary. We will certainly move
recipes between repositories as we go along. The idea is to have a place
where we can throw pretty much anything SDR-related while still having a
place where we can endorse certain packages. Suggestions on moving
packages between repos can be made through the issue tracker and are
welcome, but I'd like to restrict gr-recipes to OOTs and other packages
with a fairly wide adoption.

Transitioning
-------------

If you're moving from PB1 to PB2, it's probably easiest to just start
from scratch. If you really don't want to, there's ways to turn your old
PB1 prefix into a new one, but that's very specific and a bit off-topic
for this announcement.

In any case, you will need to install PyBOMBS instead of just having a
repository somewhere.

Given PB2 is brand new, I'm sure there's still enough bugs. Not much we
can do about that, other than test, test, test and run it in various
configurations.

Cheers,
Martin