Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Receiving errors with Viterbi decoder block/Decod

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Receiving errors with Viterbi decoder block/Decoding AIM spacecraft
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:57:01 -0500

Michael,

I haven't seen your flowgraph, but as I wrote in my previous email you are using the fsm constructor probably in the wrong way:

You are confusing the (n,k,K) parameters of a CC.
k = number of input bits per period
n = number of output bits per period
K = constraint length of the code (related to the memory it requires)

If you want to build a (2,1,*) CC then you need to call the fsm constructor
with these two numbers AND a vector of 2x1=2 integers representing the two generator polynomials.
(If you think about it the constraint length parameter need not be input to the constructor because it can be derived from the generator polynomials)
fsm::fsm(int k, int n, const std::vector<int> &G)

so in the above example it should be something like

fsm(1,2, [79,109])

On the other hand, i don't know if this is what you want to do.
If you tell us the exact parameters of the code you want to build I would be able to help more.
(the rate of the code 1/2 that you gave in your previous email is not sufficient, because R=1/2=2/4 so a (4,2,*)
CC will also have the same rate but it would require you to provide 4 x 2 =8 generator polynomials to construct it).

Achilleas