[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio.org spam activity and user accounts

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio.org spam activity and user accounts
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 17:45:03 -0500

Hi list,

I wanted to let everyone know that gnuradio.org has been hit with a serious amount of spam activity today. We restrict much of the editing to signed-in users and use a recaptcha plugin to prevent bots from creating bogus accounts, which is something we dealt with a while ago. They are now getting around the recaptcha, creating bogus users, and posting Issue and editing the wiki page of our site.

Johnathan Corgan and I have removed the bogus issues, fixed the main wiki, and locked all of the accounts under suspicion. We have also disabled automatic authentication of users, and so new users must now be manually activated. I will be monitoring this activity for the next few days and hope it dies down. In the meantime, if you make an account that I don't activate (within a reasonable amount of time), ping me on the side about it.

Meanwhile, I don't think there was any other damage done to the site besides the front page that has already been fixed. But if you are looking around at pages and it seems like spam (and it's pretty obvious -- talks about phone numbers to call for tech support about various products), please report it to us.

It looks like this kind of thing has been happening for a while on other sites. It just managed to hit us today.

Thanks,
Tom