Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modified USB boot config

From: Stephen Berger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modified USB boot config
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:36:27 -0600

John,

Glad to give the exact steps that work for me.  I have now used this to produce 5 or 6 bootable USB’s and the process is quite reliable for me.

One thing I have not successfully done is increase the size of persistent memory beyond the 4 GB size limitation.  There are a number of posts different places with several methods for accomplishing this.  However, I haven’t gotten any of them to work for me.  However, I haven’t been able to spend much time on that.  Perhaps someone can complement this post with some steps on how to increase the size of the persistent memory.  That would be very useful now that larger USB drives are so inexpensive.

Getting Persistence

Although the UNetbootin process is supposed to result in a drive that has persistence, meaning it will keep changes and saved files between boots, this was not found to be the case on the HP Envy laptop used in this exercise.  The reason is not entirely clear, although it may be due to different boot software and file formats used in different systems.  Perhaps other combinations will work without a problem, but that wasn't what was found with this combination.

To enable persistence the 'grub.cfg' in the /boot/grub directory of the USB drive must be modifed.  The word 'persistent' but the inserted before the 'file=...' in the places.  See the resulting 'grub.cfg' file below with the addition highlighted.

Figure 3 - The grub.cfg file must be modified to enable persistence

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then

            set gfxmode=auto

            insmod efi_gop

            insmod efi_uga

            insmod gfxterm

            terminal_output gfxterm

fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black

set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {

            set gfxpayload=keep

            linux     /casper/vmlinuz.efi  persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --

            initrd     /casper/initrd.lz

}

menuentry "Install Ubuntu" {

            set gfxpayload=keep

            linux     /casper/vmlinuz.efi  persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --

            initrd     /casper/initrd.lz

}

menuentry "OEM install (for manufacturers)" {

            set gfxpayload=keep

            linux     /casper/vmlinuz.efi  persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash oem-config/enable=true --

            initrd     /casper/initrd.lz

}

menuentry "Check disc for defects" {

            set gfxpayload=keep

            linux     /casper/vmlinuz.efi  boot=casper integrity-check quiet splash --

            initrd     /casper/initrd.lz

}

Best Regards,

Stephen Berger