Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoid "U"nderflow Techniques

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoid "U"nderflow Techniques
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:57:04 -0800

Simone,

first of all, FIFOs of this sort already exist (both on the device and
in host, in form of the buffer between the upstream block and the USRP
block).

Now, if you're SW is too slow, your FIFO will always run out of samples
and eventually you'll have U's again. This can only help to avoid
transient underruns, i.e. when your SW is *on average* fast enough, but
sometimes falls behind. In this case, large buffers can help, but come
at the cost of latency.

You might have enough buffering if you simply start transmitting with a
delay. This will force buffers to fill up. Timed commands will help you
with this.

Cheers,
Martin