Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is there way to specify the destination of signal

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is there way to specify the destination of signal ?
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 17:14:32 +0100

Dear SangHyuk Kim,

Yes, that's possible, but the way you describe this is a Layer 2 or even Layer 3 problem – the typical job of GNU Radio is to do signal processing, i.e. Layer 1. Of course, as Basti's gr-ieee802-11 demonstrates, you can write very practical blocks that doe the MAC logic; but that's up to you to implement (as it is very system specific).

As an easy way to implement this, look at the gr-digital/examples/ofdm/rx_ofdm.grc example included in GNU Radio.
Look at the "Header/Payload Demux" Block: it takes in samples, and outputs one header stream, and one payload stream. Follow the header stream: It ends in the "Packet Header Parser".
The "Header Parser" tells the "Header/Payload Demux" to forward the payload to the payload stream. You could just implement something that works like "Packet Header Parser", but also checks whether the packet was for your receiver (or for someone else).

But to be honest, most communication systems wouldn't do that. The information whether a packet is for "you" belongs to the next higher layer, and hence, should be included in the payload data.

So the easiest way to do this is to add a "destination address" to your payload data, and read that from the payload data, with a very minimal Python block.

Best regards,
Marcus