Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot ping the usrp

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot ping the usrp
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:05:57 -0700

Hi Vinit,

Use `ip addr show` or `ifconfig` to check what your current ip address is. If you're on an Ubuntu system the Network Manager often overrides your custom settings. You'll need to setup a connection with a static IP using Network Manager rather than ifconfig if this is the case.

If you are fairly comfortable with Linux then here's another option. I use the following script to automatically add the USRP subnet when I connect to the local network. This allows me access to both the wider LAN and to the USRPs simultaneously on a single network interface. If you don't understand what the script is doing though I'd recommend using the Network Manager as you're less likely to encounter issues.

/etc/network/if-up.d/add-usrp-subnet.sh

#!/bin/bash

if [[ `nmcli connection show --active | grep 'Lab LAN'` ]]
then
    ip addr add 192.168.10.5/24 dev enp0s25
fi

The network name can be determined with nmcli connection show --active when connected to the local network. The device name is shown at the end. For example:

address@hidden ~] nmcli connection show --active
NAME        UUID                                  TYPE            DEVICE
Lab LAN     5b0c59d0-3c9b-420f-9645-a425862e1088  802-3-ethernet  enp0s25

For earlier versions of Network Manger the command is nmcli connection status.

Hopefully this is helpful. Also, this again is a USRP question (Linux networking actually), so would be better on the USRP-users mailing list.

Regards,

Derek