[Discuss-gnuradio] AMD HSA and digital signal processing

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] AMD HSA and digital signal processing
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 20:38:07 +0200

Hi all,

Lately I came across something called HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture)
that is used in new AMD APU's (CPU's with integrated graphics processor). In
general it enables CPU and GPU cores to share the same memory space. Exchange
of data between them is therefore a matter of sending a pointer.

Many times I've heard that bottleneck of data transfer between CPU and GPU is
main obstacle for application of massive GPU's processing power for signal
processing. HSA seems to be the solution.

The idea is great but what surprises me is that although AMD processors with
HSA are present for over two years I haven't heard of anyone using it.

GNU Radio could potentially benefit from HSA. But have anyone on the list used
it? If yes - what was your experience?

P.S. I've sent the same e-mail few hours earlier but as of now it hasn't
appeared on the list. I'm sorry in advance if the post is doubled.

--
Best Regards,
Piotr Krysik