Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] stream_mux tag propagation

From: Merlin Chlosta
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] stream_mux tag propagation
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:05:56 +0200

On 21.04.2016 13:34, Andrej Rode wrote:
>> Is that a bug in stream_mux? It means that the streams cannot be demuxed by
>> looking at the tags.
> There is no special processing for stream tags in stream_mux. It simply takes
> the input streams and copies them input-wise into the output buffer. Stream
> tags are propagated according to their initial offset at the input. And there
> you get behaviour you described.
>
> Did you have a look at tagged_stream_mux ? Maybe it will serve your needs?

The tagged_stream_mux uses the packet_len tags to determine the input lengths.
It outputs a new packet_len that is the sum of the input packet_lens. So here
you also loose information about the streams that were muxed.

What sense would the standard tag propagation make in this case?

The context is that I was looking for a demux-block to separate data that comes
out of my custom block. I did not find any demux-block -- and then investigated
how the muxer works to understand why there's no demuxer. In this case the only
way a demuxer could work is to have the muxer scheme constant and share it to
muxer and demuxer.

--Merlin Chlosta