Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ubuntu/GRC Update

From: Raj Bhattacharjea
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ubuntu/GRC Update
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 14:27:16 -0400

Here is a tip that might save you next time. If you have built everything from source (git clone blah && cd blah && mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make && sudo make install), then keep your build directories around (where you ran cmake ..), i.e., don't delete them. Then what you can do after an OS update is go through the stuff you installed in reverse order, and run "make uninstall" in each build directory. That will cleanly uninstall whatever old versions were broken by the update. Better yet, do this BEFORE the OS update. By "reverse order", I mean uninstall gnuradio out-of-tree modules, then gnuradio itself, then UHD. This clears your system of all the old stuff that is linked against libraries that no longer exist after the update.

After cleaning out the cruft, you do a forward pass where you update the code (git pull), delete the old build directory, and do the build process again. This time go in order starting with UHD, then gnuradio, then gnuradio out-of-tree modules. You might find the cmake step nags about dependencies or some features are disabled, but this is usually a matter of running a few "apt-get install" commands to get the new dependencies.

Finally, what I described is not the #1 "preferred" method; that would probably involve pybombs. I don't use that method so I can't say anymore about it, other than to point you in that direction.

--
Raj Bhattacharjea, PhD
Georgia Tech Research Institute