[Discuss-gnuradio] A cool project, looking for your support

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] A cool project, looking for your support
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:34:14 -0400

Many of you here know me, and that I'm involved in radio astronomy mostly as an amateur, occasionally as a hired technical guy. I've been a "vanguard" for the use of SDR (and Gnu Radio in particular) in radio astronomy since 2004.

I'm heading up a new project to create an association dedicated to use of SDR, and, of course, *Gnu Radio* in small-scale and amateur radio astronomy. We need funding. With Ben's permission, I'm posting this here:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-make-the-ccera-a-reality-2tvbzx8

Our long-term plan is to build a quite-substantial synthesis array, at both 4.2GHz, and the 408Mhz and 610Mhz radio astronomy bands. We've secured a space in a local building, and have access to *acres* of roof space on which we can plant antennae. Initially, for this winter, we'll have two 4.2GHz antenna, two 408/610MHz antenna, and a pulsar antenna array. In the spring, the 4.2GHz array will get fleshed out with a further 4, larger, dishes. But we want to see how this thing works without putting in a large physical investment "up top". The 4 larger dishes (2.4m) are sitting in storage, waiting for the right moment to blossom.

I really appreciate any support folks can give our little group.

Cheers
Marcus
Director  Canadian Center for Experimental Radio Astronomy