[Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio with Pybombs on MacOSX

From: Brian Cuthie
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio with Pybombs on MacOSX
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:13:05 +0000

Greetings,

After a few failures, I’ve been able to build gnuradio from source using
pybombs on a Mac. But I ran into a some issues that I’m hoping someone can
share their wisdom on.

In no particular order:

1) gr-dtv and gr-atsc fail trying to link to libgsl.

The libraries are installed, but there doesn’t seem to be any relevant path
information on the link command line. I suspect this is a cmake configuration
error, but I’m still finding my way around cmake and haven’t yet even been able
to see where the cmake configuration requires gsl for those modules.

I had to temporarily exclude gr-dtv and gr-atsc by adding the following to
config_opt in the gnuradio.lwr recipe file:

        -DENABLE_GR_DTV=0
        -DENABLE_GR_ATSC=0

2) On a successful build, gnuradio-companion crashed miserably because
everything was not linked to the same python interpreter. Adding specific path
definitions to the recipe fixed that problem.

        -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/bin/python2.7

-DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Headers

-DPYTHON_LIBRARY=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Python

        -DSPHINX_EXECUTABLE=/opt/local/bin/rst2html-2.7.py).

I can see where this is a mac specific issue because with ports we end up with
competing python interpreters (the one supplied with the system, and the one
used by ports in /opt). Perhaps there’s a solution in cmake or a conditional
configuration directive might be a useful enhancement to pybombs.

3) Thrift failed to build because it wanted to link to a static version of some
boost libraries. But the default port install of boost doesn’t include the
static version of its libraries. So I had to pre-install boost with the
“-no_static” option. Again, this is a Mac specific thing. But a conditional
directive in pybombs recipes might also help here.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

-brian