[Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Hackfest, Brussels, February 1-3

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Hackfest, Brussels, February 1-3
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 17:42:18 -0500

Hey GNU Radio community.

The United States Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, DARPA, is pleased to host its first SDR Hackfest. The goal of the event is to identify how Software Defined Radio (SDR) technology can help manage increasing strain on spectrum access posed by everyday electronics. From simple devices like wall warts used to charge our mobile phones to new car systems, electromagnetic noise poses a potential threat to the growth of technology, including the device-to-device communications that are at the heart of the Internet of Things. If you have an interest in building SDR systems to solve emerging RF problems, then please join us in Brussels, Belgium, on February 1-3, the days immediately preceding FOSDEM (fosdem.org), the annual gathering of free and open source software developers. DARPA’s SDR Hackfest will take place at The Hotel, located in downtown Brussels.

With this SDR Hackfest, DARPA hopes to take steps toward better identifying, characterizing, and understanding the interference problems posed by ambient and unintentional emitters, most notably by everyday electronics in our homes, offices, cities, and throughout our constructed landscape. This RF “noise floor” will become more influential as the electromagnetic environment becomes busier with the advent of countless IoT emitters and receivers in the coming years. In the spirit of FOSDEM and recognizing that crowdsourcing can be a powerful aid to managing technological problems, we encourage you to bring your own hardware and do your best to detect, catalogue, and characterize the many RF emissions that will be present at the event.  We hope this event will be fun, help build and strengthen a community focused on emerging spectrum issues, and provide something of a foundation for further research into the communications challenges that our ever more wireless world will pose. ‎

Registration and additional event logistics can be found at: http://www.cvent.com/d/bvq3x2.

See you in Brussels!

Tom