Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay

From: Benny Alexandar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay locked loop for the two-clock problem)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 16:59:24 +0000

Hi Fons,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have some questions regarding it.
How many blocks of audio the internal buffer  need to store ?
When does the copy from gr buffer to internal buffer happens ? Is it
during the audio hardware driver call back or during gr scheduling the
audio sink ?
Before copying to the internal buffer the audio block has to be played
to prevent overwrite of data. In a way it has to do the same check
what the gr buffers do, space is available to copy etc.
Why not handle this with gr buffer ? Audio sink can query the
available data in its input queue.

I was reading the paper "usingdll.pdf" in that the first figure (fig 1)
( The thin (blue) line is the exact mapping we want. Note
that in this example the real sample frequency is
slightly lower that the nominal — the thin line
is lagging the grid as time advances.)

In an ideal case the thin blue line should intersect all the grid points.
Why the real sample frequency is slightly lower than nominal ?

-ben