[Discuss-gnuradio] static peaks spectrum

From: Marc Pàmies Massip
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] static peaks spectrum
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 22:31:02 +0100

Hi,

Maybe this is a stupid question for experts in SDR, but I haven't find a clear explanation yet. I know it is normal to have a DC offset in the center of the spectrum, but I am surprised by the amount of static peaks that I see sometimes in specific bands (you can find attached some images to better understand what am I talking about). It is obvious that those are not "real" signals, in fact when I re-tune the SDR peripheral they don't move according to the frequency displacement. I want to understand if it is due to a software problem (the screenshots were taken from SDR#) or if it has something to do with the hardware (maybe those are just harmonics from some kind of square signal, i.e clock). I am worried because they are extremely strong and because of this I could have trouble detecting weaker signals nearby.

Summarising, my questions are:

- What causes those peaks?
- Is it necessary to remove them for a proper signal detection?

Thanks in advance,

Marc.