Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code -- Ideas List!

From: Kartik Patel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code -- Ideas List!
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 19:29:21 +0000

Hello all,

I was thinking about a HTML based GUI. So, inception of idea is from an online circuit simulator used in the edX course (Circuits and Systems, MITx). Although there are full-fledge softwares available for the circuit simulation, an online widget/page type thing is great for online learning. Similarly, learning about signal processing and communication systems in colleges as well as on online platforms can be facilitated with HTML based GNU Radio. It will be basic with some limitations but may cover almost all possible features in GNU Radio.

My approach is: Using canvas in HTML5, we can work on a HTML based GUI. The GUI will be exactly/mostly same as the GRC. Upon running the file, a XML will be generated (like *.grc) through _javascript_, and will be sent to the server. The server will run/process the file, and will respond back with the JPG/PNG of graphs.

Notes:
  1. In future, it can be extended to real-time analysis. example is : Using microphone and webcame, realtime data can be a input.
  2. If we limit the use of GNU Radio to some blocks, we can avoid the need of backend. Although it will seriously limit the software, and eventually we will have to opt for the what I have currently proposed.
Can we have detailed discussion over this? Since, Marcus told that deadline is around Thursday, we may have to speed-up.(I am not sure about the process of organisation application procedure) Sorry for not posting this earlier. I got the idea just now.

Regards,
Kartik Patel