Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] feedback loop in gnu radio

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] feedback loop in gnu radio
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 13:28:06 +0100

Hi Sagnik,

right now, you can't build loops out of stream connections. That has causality reasons – if you had such a loop, and the "merging" block at the start of the loop would need input on both channels, GNU Radio couldn't guarantee your flow graph could ever start¹.

If you can live with a loosely–coupled feedback loop, message passing would be an appropriate method: You can pass messages from any block to any block without any restrictions - but also, without backpressure. See chapter four or five of http://tutorials.gnuradio.org . (If you haven't already, read the tutorial from the start – I think it's rather nice!)

Best regards,

Marcus

¹ In fact, that restriction has historical reasons, and we know we could remove it in some cases, but we didn't, so far. I used to have an experimental branch where we didn't have that restriction, but then a lot of our not-directly-stream-connection-related stuff breaks; basically, a lot of algorithm in GNU Radio's internal data handling depend on the Flow Graph being cycle-free.