Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fail tests for qa_cpp_py_binding qa_cpp_py_bindin

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fail tests for qa_cpp_py_binding qa_cpp_py_binding_set qa_ctrlport_probes
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:35:35 +0200

Hi Lazygranch,

well, good news is that it's really just ctrlport. If you don't care
about that: it's not even going to crash anything at runtime, as far as
I can tell. You just won't be able to use ctrlport.

If you do care:

So, ctrlport is our RPC framework, with which you can control GNU Radio
as runtime from afar. In fact, it's as far as I've encountered,
practically only used to read the performance counters (so, for
benchmarking purposes) (might not apply to the Android port of GNU Radio).

The middleware over which ctrlport works is Thrift – which we've had to
find out is very terrible at being a well-packaged and reliably
maintained thing.

So, it's sadly possible that the GNU Radio build system found a Thrift
version that looks like it would work, but that in fact doesn't. For
example, doesn't contain C++ bindings. Or Python bindings.

Now, I've got to admit that I've never used GR on Suse, thus it's really
possible this is something triggered by the Thrift package in the Suse
repos. I certainly don't blame Suse if this is Suse-specific – all
distros I've looked at use terrible hacks and disable a lot of Thrift's
features in the configure step to make Thrift build at all.

So, given you care enough: Please tell us which version of Thrift you
have. You might have one newer than we expect! And also, check your
package manager for Thrift packages you have and haven't installed – I
really don't know how Suse packages up thrift and its individual bindings.

Best regards,

Marcus