Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing a python package without elevated priv

From: U L
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing a python package without elevated privileges
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 20:14:10 -0700

This is a problem I have faced as well.  I have a number of projects at various levels of modification of GR and various 3rd party python packages being supported.  I find having virtualenvs to be very useful in keeping python package versions, GR mods, and my own modules in agreement.  I've been tinkering a bunch with getting venvs and pybombs to work together and I think I've made some headway.  For example, the elevated privileges for pip is (nominally) hardcoded in packagers/pip.py.  I made a modification to condition elevation on the presence of a virtualenv, which is detected in the config_manager.  This is one way to perhaps get pybombs and virtualenvs to play nice.  I'll hopefully be offering a pull request soon that incorporates a number of changes.