Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dB or dBm

From: Gilad Beeri (ApolloShield)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dB or dBm
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:32:03 +0000

Marcus explained it better than me in your previous email, but in general, those SDR devices aren't calibrated devices, as in you (the user) can't infer from the sample value the signal power, so the apps (e.g., QSpectrumAnalyzer) can't tell you anything about dBm (power) values, only dB values relative to some point (full scale according to Marcus).

If you want to measure the power values with those SDR devices, you need to calibrate them by fixing the center frequency and the gain, then injecting different levels of power, measuring the dB values you get, and inferring the "dBm vs. dB-level" function (which depends on the center frequency and gain, and possibly other factors).