Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python and C++ codes of the blocks IEEE 802.11

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python and C++ codes of the blocks IEEE 802.11
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 11:23:58 +0100

Hi Christian,

> On 24. Jun 2017, at 22:50, Cristian Rodríguez <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> This parameter is no global, I mean, when I use the wifi_phy_hier.grc in the
> transceiver.grc or tx.grc, etc, If I modify the parameter before launch the
> simulation it is ok, the change has effect in the flowgraph, but if i add a
> QT GUI Range, and I modify it after the beginning of the simulation it
> doesn't have effect. Then I think the "set" of the parameter is no global
> (thinking in OOP).

Currently, the sensitivity is only through the constructor of the Sync Short
block. That means it’s set when the block is instantiated and cannot be changed
afterwards.

If you want to change the parameter while the flow graph is running (through a
slider in the GUI, for example), you will have to extend the Sync Short block
with a callback.
You could have a look at the Frame Equalizer block, for example. It allows
changing the algorithm during run-time.

To extend Sync Short you have to:
- add the callback function to the XML description of the block:  (see here
https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11/blob/next/grc/ieee802_11_frame_equalizer.xml#L9)
- implement the callback for the block (note that the callback is a public
function that has also to be added to the definition in /include/, and the use
of a mutex since ‘work’ and the callback are called in different thread
contexts).

If you implement this, please make a pull-request :-)

> Besides, this parameter is used in the WiFi Sync Short, and i want to modify
> this block to set that parameter as an input, and create another block in
> which i'm going to include a fuzzy system to set the parameter depending on
> other parameters.

For that use-case, I would extend the Sync Short block with an async message
input (the gray ports in GRC) and let your fuzzy system send PMTs with the
updated sensitivity values.

Best,
Bastian