Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR- IEEE 802.15.4 PHY Issues

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR- IEEE 802.15.4 PHY Issues
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 07:10:42 +0100

The staggering of the imaginary part in combination with the half sine pulse shape, makes the constellation point move on the unit circle. During a bit period it makes a 90 degree transition to one of the neighboring constellations (encoding the 0 and 1). It doesn't actually stay at the ideal constellation points, but immediately starts the next transition.

Now if the sample rate would be very high, you would see many closely spaced points on the unit circle. But the example flow graph uses a sample rate of only 4M, i.e., 2 symbols per bit/chip. Therefore, you see only one more sample/constellation point when the transition is half way through, leading to 8 different points shown in the constellation sink.

Best,
Bastian