[Discuss-gnuradio] Averaging in QT Waterfall

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Averaging in QT Waterfall
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 10:23:34 -0400

I am working with a large and long (8 hour) data set. My goal is to show changes in propagation over time -- in particular, further analysis of my solar eclipse RF captures.

I want to show the whole 8 hours on a the waterfall without scrolling, which means I need to write a line to the display every minute or more (I haven't figured out exactly how many lines the waterfall can display).

The problem is that the data is noisy and displaying one FFT with a long gap before the next one makes it very hard to discern the signal from the noise. What I'd like to do is display an average (or rolling average) of preceding FFTs, not just a snapshot of the most recent one.

The QT Frequency sink allows you to select averaging, but the waterfall sink does not. Is there a way to have the waterfall use averaging? Alternatively, is there a block that will average a vector like an FFT? That's actually probably the best answer for my situation.

Thanks,
John