Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Linux

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Linux
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 20:46:53 +0200

So, this question sounds like you're going to be new to Linux: With Linux distributions, you always also get a packet manager, which means that, unlike you're doing something relatively obscure, you don't have to care about downloading and installing your software yourself – there's a tool where you can just pick "OK, I'd like Firefox, LibreOffice, GNU Radio, KiCAD and everything these programs need", and things will just work seconds later.

Basically, all the major Linux distros ship fairly recent GNU Radio **right now**. (Certainly, they all will age, until their next release comes out)

You can generally check the gnuradio.org website for what's the most recent release, and then check the package archives of your distro of interest how far that is behind.

At this point in time (Beginning of Sept 2017), Ubuntu 16.04LTS, Fedora 26, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Macports, and others, carry pretty recent versions that you can install with a single click or a single command line.

Best regards,

Marcus