[Discuss-gnuradio] how does OFDM receiver distinguish the wanted signal

From: Shi Yang
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] how does OFDM receiver distinguish the wanted signal
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:04:37 +0200

Dear list,

I am implementing a full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 using GNU Radio. I use two usrp, one as CMTS and another as cable modem. The CM acts as the receiver, receiving both the signal from CMTS and from itself. What I am trying to do is subtract the self interference from the CM. My question is, when there are two signals mixed on the receiver side, how does the OFDM receiver distinguish the wanted signal?

I know the transmitter and receiver have to have the same FFT_length, so when using 2 FFT_length for each transmitter, the receiver picks up the transmitter with the matching FFT_length. But I am using the same FFT_length for two senders (because I want to use the default sync words from the rx_ofdm examples, so I kind of am stuck with the FFT_len 64), then the receiver regards the weaker signal as noise and recovers the stronger signal, which is not so ideal, since theoretically the self interference should be several tens decibels stronger, based on the so much shorter transmission path in a real scenario. So can anyone please tell me, how can the receiver recognize the wanted signal, or what else should I do (like write my own channel estimation block) to subtract the self interference?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Yang