Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Demodulation of Intermittent QAM Signal

From: Ernest Fardin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Demodulation of Intermittent QAM Signal
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:51:12 +1100

Thanks Kyeong,

Looking into this in a bit more detail I found that the attack and decay rate settings for the AGC2 block contained within the QAM Demod hier block affect the ability of the demodulator to recover from a zero-signal condition. Reducing the attack and decay rates from their default values of of 6e-2 and 1e-3 to something like 1e-5 allows the demodulator to recover reliably.

I'm not sure why such a big change is required. Maybe it is related to the high PAR of a QAM signal, but then the block was designed for QAM in the first place. Perhaps some changes have been made to the AGC2 block since the QAM Demod block was originally implemented.

Ernest