Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 Frame sync confusion

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 Frame sync confusion
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:33:37 +0100

Hi,

On 10/19/2017 09:00 AM, Sumit Kumar wrote:
Yes but even to get the chip sequences, which are nothing but bits, the incoming complex samples have to be decoded i.e. OQPSK demodulation.

I saw MATLAB implementation by Rice University as well in the latest release of MATLAB 2017b (they have included a 802.15.4 toolbox)

All of them employ the same technique i.e. first do a OQPSK demodulation and then find preambles.

I was wondering why not do auto correlation or cross correlation of incoming complex samples as there is a repetition of samples in the beginning.

Currently, the receiver looks like this:

IQ -> FM demodulation -> clock recovery (extract chips) -> search for the chip sequence of the preamble.

It's only one simple way to do it. I'm sure you could get higher performance with more complicated algorithms that consider the signal at an earlier stage, i.e., you could work with the baseband signal or the signal after FM demodulation. However, both approaches would increase (at least) computational complexity. It's a trade-off.

Best,
Bastian

Sumit