Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-dtv | DVB-S2 : video bitrate const while symbo

From: Kai-Uwe Storek
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-dtv | DVB-S2 : video bitrate const while symbol rate increased
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:04:12 +0200

Dear Marcus and Ron,

thanks for your support!

The longer video file revealed some "forward jumps" in the video which
I did not recognize using the short example video with it's many
"jumps" and "cuts". Either the Rx8200 or VLC is buffering only a
portition before jumping to the most update-to-date PTS. Question
solved. :)

I would like to use the opportunity to thank for the great dvb-s2
implementation in gnuradio blocks which helps in my research project!
Since all commits on [1] are made by you Ron: thanks for sharing this
fine code with the world!

Two more things in addition (should I better write a new mail?):
- I noticed that the rx8200 did not lock for all mod/cods - e.g.
DVB-S2X 16APSK 7/9 did not work for me. Have you tested all modcods
with external hardware? If not, I can do some more modcod tests with
the rx8200.
- I would recommend (and also try to implement) a change in the dvb-s2
blocks concerning the parameter configuration: Everytime when I want
to change the modcod I have to configure nearly all dvb-s2 blocks
which is really tiring. :) Whats about an additional config field
(type raw) in every block? If filled with a struct or dict, the
parameters (modulation, coderate) are used from the struct/dict
instead of the  combo-boxes of the blocks?

Best regards,
Kai

> If you're sending the stream too fast by increasing the symbol rate, then
> some buffer on the receive side will overflow eventually.
>
> Here's an 11 minute stream to test with. It's muxed at the same rate as
> adv16apsk910.ts.
>
> http://www.w6rz.net/thecooler16apsk.ts
>
> Most likely the RX8200 is releasing the IP stream at a rate based on the
> PTS's (Presentation Time Stamp) of the video or audio stream, which is why
> VLC plays okay.
>
> Ron
>

> On 10/25/2017 12:53 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kai,
>>
>> On 2017-10-24 23:40, Kai-Uwe Storek wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> this is just a request for enlightenment. :-)
>>
>> granted.
>> (Just kidding, who am I to decide who is enlightened and who's not? It's
>> Wednesday, so it's Ron's turn to grant RfEs; CC:'ed.)
>>>
>>> I was playing around with the dvb-s2 modulation blocks. I started with
>>> the example graph dvs2_tx.grc and the example video (adv16apsk910.ts)
>>> and an ursp. At the receiver side, I used an ericsson rx 8200.
>>>
>>> I then increased the symbol rate and noticed three things:
>>>
>>> 1) The bit rate of the transport stream shown by the rx8200 increased
>>> from 17 mbps to 23 mbps (which is in line with rates calculated via